Thursday, May 22, 2008

KCLS Meeting Afghan

Two weeks ago we had a craft fair at work. About 16 people participated. A BIG thank you to Susan L. for organizing it and guarding our prized possessions. I displayed 2 afghans and 3 scarves. The picture of the afghan is one I created during meetings at KCLS. When I was not making scarves for the Warm for Winter project during meetings, I was making this afghan. The basket weave scarf on the left side of the afghan was used with left over yarn.


Yarn and hook: For this project I used a J hook. I used most of 2 1-pound skeins of Caron yarn in each color. It really depends on the size you want it to be and how loose. The one I am making right now (on vacation), I am using an I hook. The border color does not use as much yarn as the shell part. It is also great in one color.


The first time I made this pattern, I was in North Carolina visiting a friend who had just had a baby. Needless to say, we were home a lot during the visit. I had her take me to the local discount store and I bought yarn and a hook. I was able to finish an afghan as a thank-you gift when I left! I also made an afghan for my cousin while she was in the hospital last winter and I was spending HOURS with her in the hospital.

It is my favorite pattern. It is SOOOO easy and a great take along project. You can create the panels on the road and then put them together at home. Also great for summer project. Put it together in the fall as we weather gets colder.


To Begin: Chain 6, connect with a slip stitch.


First Row: Chain 3, 3 dc, 3 c, 3 dc (shell), dc in top of chain 3 of previous row, 3c turn.

Second Row: Create a shell in the 3c of the previous row, dc in top of chain, 3c turn. Repeat row 2 until it is the length you want. Note: You will go around this for the border.

Border: beginning in the 6 chain circle at the beginning. With the right-side facing you (the first row shows the front of the double-crochets)The picture to the right shows the tops of the double-crochets in the first row, the tops sort of slant toward you.

3c, 2dc,2c,3dc in the beginning chain; 1c; in the next space 3dc, 2c, 3dc (this will create the back end of the sort-of arrow tip at each end of the panel) 3dc in each space until you reach the last side space. In the last space on the side, 3 dc, 2c, 3dc. In the 3c space at the end of the panel: 3dc, 2c, 3dc; 1c; 3dc, 2c, 3dc in first space on the second side, 3dc in each space up to the last side-space. 3dc, 2c, 3dc in last side space, slip stitch in the top chain of the 3 chain to join the chain.

Sew panels together. Hold the panels with the wrong sides together. You will work in the back side of the tops of the stitches only. Begin at second chain of the center chain of the 3dc, 2c, 3dc created in the first side space. Go to the end and then work in the ends.

You can do this one of 2 different ways (well, probably more then that!). The pattern says to sew the panels together with a yarn needle and doing the whip stitch. Why I do not use this method any longer is that you have cut yarn to thread through so you either end up being short or waste yarn. As a rule of thumb, I would measure double the length of the panel to cut. I was usually right...

The way I have been sewing them together lately is just doing a slip stitch, that way I just stay connected to the skein of yarn.

No comments: